Rhetoric School Part-Time Academic/College Counselor
The Covenant School exists to glorify God by equipping students with the tools necessary to pursue a lifetime of learning so that they may discern, reason, and defend truth in service to our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Job Title: Rhetoric School Part-time Academic/College Counselor
Reports to: Associate Director for Academic/College Counseling
Status: 20 hours/week
Job Purpose: The Rhetoric School Part-Time Academic/College Counselor will share responsibilities with the Associate Director for Academic/College Counseling in overseeing and managing the academic progress and college planning process at Covenant. He or she is responsible for coaching students and their families, beginning in the 2nd semester of 8th grade and for building/maintaining relationships with colleges and universities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Meet with students from 8th grade to graduation in order to
o Develop mentor/advocate/advisor relationships
o Provide academic guidance with yearly course selection
o Assist with time management, absences, and make-up work
o Lead individualized college and career exploration
o Advise through the college, financial aid, and scholarship application process
o Have small group advisory meetings on a weekly basis with students
● Meet with parents of students in grades 8-12 to
○ Discuss Rhetoric School academic offerings and expectations
○ Provide tools for assisting students with time management, absences, and make-up work
○ Support the college application, financial aid, and scholarship application process
● Serve as a point of contact for representatives from colleges and universities seeking to meet with students
○ Ensure students are exposed to a wide variety of post-secondary options
○ Educate college representatives on Covenant’s classical, Christian model
○ Communicate the academic profile of Covenant students
● Attend professional development conferences to continue education in college admission trends and processes
● Act as Testing Coordinator for all Rhetoric School standardized testing to include Pre- ACT, PSAT, CLT, and AP tests
● Work with Renweb and SCOIR as applicable
● Other duties in the Rhetoric School which may include work with the Directors of Communication, Admissions, and Curriculum
Qualifications: All employees of The Covenant School must consistently exhibit the fruits of the Spirit and spiritual maturity, serving as a Christian role model both in and out of school. They must also set an example for parents and fellow faculty members in speech, actions, attitude, judgment, dignity, and respect while living in obedience to God’s Word.
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Experience in High School Academic Counseling and/or College Admissions
● Strong interpersonal, communication, and public speaking skills
● Strong written and editing skills with attention to detail
● Ability to travel to conferences and to visit colleges and universities
Please submit a cover letter, resume and statement of faith to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.